Southern design can be intoxicating! As I think about my many southern clients and how I have approached their design, I again reflect on the complexities of the process and marvel that Southern design adds even another dimension! It’s called HOSPITALITY!
Southerners are gracious people indeed. Growing up as a female in the south, I can assure you I was taught to say welcome almost before Ma Ma and Da Da!!! Southerners more than WANT their homes to speak graciouisness they need their homes to do so. Inviting entry ways, porches, furnishings that scream comfort, personal collections are all ways that the Southerners extend their welcome mat. Southerern design encompasses the need for expression and a drive for let’s get to know one another. When you walk into my home, I want you to have a sense of who I am and also a sense of belonging in my space. Southerners are all about comfort!
What are some ways that you can express true elegant Southern design into your home?
- Roll out the welcome mat. Rethink your entry. Do you have a beautiful and stately entry door that says come on in? If not, flank with plant material or statuary. Once inside, make sure your foyer has indications of you and your family. My foyer, for example, once contained a family crest sprinkled throughout the space and was hand painted by a local artist.
- Start a collection of something meaningful and display it in an interesting way.
- Dress it down…Southerners require comfort. Don’t be matchy matchy in your approach. No “suites” of furnishings. Mix it up. Bring in a fabulous antique piece (Southerners love tradition and heritage!) and then surround it with other pieces that blend.
- Decorate and use your porch! It’s especially nice if you paint the ceiling of your porch a wonderful haint blue. A true southern tradition that was said to fight off spirits back in the day!
- Spiked or unspked, nothing says hello and welcome like a glass of good ole iced tea!